Dr Wendy Haslem
Lecturer, Screen Studies and the Moving Image MA
Coordinator, Moving Image MA (Master of Arts and Cultural Management)
Coordinator, Honours in Screen and Cultural Studies
Phone: +61 3 8344 3409
John Medley (Building 191)
Search for online publications at the University of Melbourne digital repository
BA (Hons) Cinema Studies (La Trobe University), PhD - Cinema Studies (La Trobe University)
Wendy Haslem teaches, researches and publishes on the intersections of film history and new media. Her research includes: Gothic film, film noir, cinema of the 1950s, Atomic culture, trauma cinema, censorship, Japanese film, Australian film culture and industry. Wendy is interested in the impact of new forms of exhibition on the archive. She is the author of 'A Charade of Innocence and Vice': Hollywood Gothic Films of the 1940s (2009) and she is a co-editor for the anthology Super/Heroes: From Hercules to Superman (2007). She is currently researching the evolution of the Gothic from silent cinema to new media for her book Gothic Projections: From Méliès to New Media.
Wendy has been developing projects designed to use new media to study film history. In collaboration with Associate Professor Angela Ndalianis, she has been awarded an ITMM Grant to create The Godzilla Project - an interactive, multi media project that encourages students to engage with complex issues of film and history analytically and creatively. She has also been awarded funding to support The Chinese Film Project – an investigative research and conservation project examining 126 films on celluloid that are held in ACMI's collection.
- Gothic Projections: From Méliès to New Media an investigation of the evolution of the Gothic narrative and aesthetic from silent film to digital media.
- CICU10001: Introduction to Cinema Studies
- SCRN40006: Film, Art and Exhibition
- SCRN90004: Visual Culture Industries
- AMGT90017: Communicating the Arts
- Haslem, Wendy. 'A Charade of Innocence and Vice': Hollywood Gothic Films of the 1940s. Koln: Lambert Publishing, 2009
- Haslem, Wendy and Boyle, Kentia. Experimenta: Playground (New Media exhibition catalogue). St Kilda, Australia: Experimenta Media Arts, 2007
- Haslem, Wendy, Ndalianis, Angela and Mackie, Christopher (eds.). Super/Heroes: From Hercules to Superman. Washington: New Academia Press, 2007
- Haslem, Wendy. "Women in Australian Film," in Dictionnaire des Creatrices: Des Femmes edited by Antoinette Fouque, Editions, Paris, 2011
- Haslem, Wendy. "Perception Is Reality: The Rise and Fall of Professional Wrestlers," in Haslem, Wendy, Ndalianis, Angela and Mackie, Christopher (eds.). Super Heroes: From Hercules to Superman. Washington: New Academia Press, p.181-195
- Haslem, Wendy. "The Goddess of 1967," in Mayer, G. and Beattie, K. (eds.). The Cinema of Australia and New Zealand. London, United Kingdom: Wallflower Press, p.195-202
Refereed Journal Articles:
- Haslem, Wendy. "A Moving Image Experience: Il Cinema Ritrovato 2010," in Refractory, June 2011
- Haslem, Wendy. "Little Pieces of Infinity: Hiraki Sawa's O," in Senses of Cinema, April 2010
- Haslem, Wendy. "Going Places Sitting Down: Micrographia & the Triptych," in The Journal of Computers in Entertainment, vol.7, no.1, March 2009, pp.7-14
- Haslem, Wendy. "Gothic Spectrality in New Media Art," in The Irish Journal of Gothic and Horror Studies, Issue 5, December 2008
- Haslem, Wendy. "Neon Gothic: Lost in Translation," in Senses of Cinema, April 2004
- Haslem, Wendy. ""I Think Every Home Should Have One Of You": the serial killer disguised as the perfect husband," in The Refractory: a Journal of Entertainment Media, vol.2, 2003
- Haslem, Wendy. "A Wager That Stacks the Deck: Projection and Collection in the Post-Millennium," in Cinema Journal, June 2011
- Haslem, Wendy. "An Eye On Screen History: Screen Worlds, ACMI," in RealTime, issue 94, December 2009, p.24
- Haslem, Wendy. "Film By Design: ACMI's Setting the Scene Exhibition," in RealTime, issue 89, Feb-March 2009, p.19
- Haslem, Wendy. "A New Cinema: Immersive and Interactive," in RealTime, issue 89, Feb-March 2009, p.23
- Haslem, Wendy. "Exhibiting Miniature Memories: The McCoy's Electronic Sculptures," in AntiThesis, March 2009
- Haslem, Wendy. "A Report on the 2nd Human Rights Arts and Film Festival," in Senses of Cinema, issues 49 and 50, 2009
- Haslem, Wendy. "Playing Biennially: Experimenta Playground," in Artlink, 27 (3), 2007, pp.54-56.
- Haslem, Wendy. "L'Atalante," in CTEQ Notes on Film, Senses of Cinema, November 2006
- Haslem, Wendy. "Re;Search," in RealTime, January, 2006, p.22
- Haslem, Wendy. "Sorry, Wrong Number," in CTEQ Notes on Film,Senses of Cinema, October 2005
- Haslem, Wendy. "Maya Deren: the high priestess of independent cinema," in The Great Director's Database, Senses of Cinema, November 2003. (This article has been translated into Persian by Mohsen Ghaderi, a film studies scholar at The Sorbonne, Paris)
- Haslem, Wendy. "The Big Sleep: romance and paranoia," in Screen Education, August 2002
- Haslem, Wendy. "The Others and Panic Room: Home Sinister Home," in Real Time, June 2002
- Haslem, Wendy. "Desire on the small screen," in Real Time, April 2002
Contributions to Reference Books:
- Haslem, Wendy. "Maya Deren" an entry in the Encyclopaedia Judaica (2006,7,8,9-). I was commissioned to write an entry on Maya Deren by the editor based on my article on the Great Director's Database
- Haslem, Wendy. Entries in McFarlane, Brian; Mayer, Geoff and Bertrand, Ina (eds.). The Oxford Companion to Australian Film. OUP, 2000. I contributed entries on: Australian Film Festivals (feature article), Films: The Woman Suffers While the Man Goes Free (1918) Raymond Longford, beDevil (Tracy Moffatt, 1993), Blackfellas (James Ricketson, 1993), Sweetie (Jane Campion, 1989), The Last Days of Chez Nous (Gillian Armstrong, 1992), Wrong Side of the Road (Ned Lander, 1981), Radiance (Rachel Perkins, 1998), Directors: Tracey Moffatt, James Ricketson, Rachel Perkins, Production Designers: Luciana Arrighi, Wendy Weir, Brian Thompson, Actor: John Moore, Costume Designer: Lizzy Gardiner
- 'Dali &Film' – Paper presented at the NGV, 2009.
- 'Maya Deren' – Paper presented at Guildford Lane Gallery, 2009.
- Audio commentary for L'Atalante, Madman Director's Suite, December, 2009.
- Audio commentary for Night and the City, [with Alex Ling], Madman Director's Suite, October, 2009.
- Audio commentary for The Flavour of Green Tea Over Rice, [with Dr Gabrielle Murray], Madman Director's Suite, September, 2009.
- Imitation of Life – Essay accompanying new dvd release – Madman Director's Suite, April, 2008.
- Audio commentary for Western Union,[with Angela Ndalianis], Madman Director's Suite, December, 2008.
- Double Indemnity – Essay accompanying new dvd release – Madman Director's Suite – November 2006.
- The Critics and Your Film Public Seminars – interviews with Paul Harris (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)
- The Refractory – editor for the 2006/2007 edition – Superheroes in the New Millennium: Transcending Media.
Research Partnerships &Professional Associations:
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image
- Australian Film Institute
- The Human Rights Arts and Film Festival
- The Melbourne International Film Festival
- The Filmmaking Summer School
- GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art, Brisbane)
- The Sendai Mediatheque (Japan)
- The Society For Cinema &Media Studies (USA)