Screen and Cultural Studies
I love being in touch with contemporary culture, I love spotting the trends of contemporary culture but also spotting and trying to find a critical vocabulary and being able to translate and impart that to students.
Assoc. Professor Audrey Yue
The Screen and Cultural Studies program is recognised nationally and internationally for its innovative teaching, scholarship and research; in 2012, Cultural Studies at Melbourne was awarded the highest rating of 5 in the Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) national report.
Screen and Cultural Studies is a combined program and students can specialise in either area. It offers studies across a range of screen media, analysing their histories, evolution and embedding in everyday life. It encourages students to explore a variety of cultural texts, sites and practices from a range of interpretive angles, including lifestyle and consumer studies, subcultural studies, and critical studies of sexuality, race and cultural globalization.
The program is taught by staff who are prominent researchers in their areas of expertise, including:
- Hollywood and global entertainment (theme parks, and transmedia)
- Asian media (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore)
- Migration and media globalization
- Critical television studies
- Digital media, online and gaming media
- Lifestyle and commodity cultures
- Gender, sexuality, feminist theory and psychoanalysis
- Film genres including avant-garde and documentary
- Colonialism and Postcolonialism
- Cultural policy
- Film and media histories (Art, European, Australian)
- Human-Animal ethics and animal studies
The Screen and Cultural Studies Program is also affiliated with the Melbourne Screen Studies group. This is a research led group of Melbourne-based scholars and creative practitioners working in all aspects of film, television, and digital media. The group features representatives from each university located in Melbourne. It brings together the diverse research activities and expertise of the city's vibrant academic community.
Animal activists have a long tradition of law breaking....
Drawing on his recently published book Terror and...